Monday, August 01, 2011

In My Mailbox #25

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren where you can talk about the books you bought or received this week.

So this week I got...

It's Not Summer Without You (Summer #2) by Jenny Han
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Since this is the second book in the Summer series and I don't want to spoil it for anyone, I'll give you the description for The Summer I Turned Pretty instead of It's Not Summer Without You.
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

The Summer I Turned Pretty is such a fun read, and I'm excited to read the second book in the series!
Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert
(Amazon / Goodreads)
Kara hasn't been back to Oak Park since the end of junior year, when a heroin overdose nearly killed her and sirens heralded her exit. Four years later, she returns to face the music. Her life changed forever back in high school: her family disintegrated, she ran around with a whole new crowd of friends, she partied a little too hard, and she fell in love with gorgeous bad-boy Adrian, who left her to die that day in Scoville Park....
Amid the music, the booze, the drugs, and the drama, her friends filled a notebook with heartbreakingly honest confessions of the moments that defined and shattered their young lives. Now, finally, Kara is ready to write her own.

This one has been on my wishlist forever - I've heard it's amazing, and it sounds right up my alley. Honestly, the only reason I haven't bought it before is that I don't like the cover (I know, I'm superficial). But I've decided to buy it despite the cover, and I hope I love it as much as everyone else did!

Kane Richards Must Die by Shanice Williams
(Amazon / Goodreads)

After an unexpected transfer to the States for her senior year, Suranne's new friends give her just one instruction: stay away from Kane Richards. According to everyone, he's a heartless playboy concerned only for himself. With one glance, it's easy to see why he gets away with it. But things aren't always what they seem- especially when he sets his sights on her and whispers that she's different.
Despite all the red flags, Suranne considers whether or not his intentions are genuine or if she's simply another name on his list. In the process, she may just uncover the real Kane Richards. But, when it comes down to it, the real Kane Richards may not want to be found.

This one sounds like the book version of John Tucker Must Die, a movie I love, so I'm excited to read this!

Positively by Courtney Sheinmel
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Since the day Emerson Pressman and her mother were diagnosed as HIV positive, nothing has been the same. When her mother dies of AIDS, Emmy has to go live with the father and stepmother she barely knows, and she feels more alone than ever. Now she has to take pills by herself, and there is no one left who understands what it's like to be afraid every time she has a cold. But when her father decides to send her to Camp Positive, a camp for HIV-positive children, Emmy begins to realize that she's not alone after all, and that sometimes, opening up to other people can make all the difference in the world.

This isn't a book I've heard about lots of times, but it sounds right up my alley and I love the idea. Plus, the cover is great - beautiful and sad at the same time!

By the time you read this, I'm already on my way to Salamanca, Spain! I'll be staying there for three weeks, taking language courses. I think I'll be able to go online every once in a while, but not all that much, so there won't be as many posts here as there usually are. I'll be back on August 20th, with lots of reviews, etc. (I'm taking way too many books with me.)

Also, that means I won't be able to check out your mailboxes, so leaving your link in the comments won't be all that pointful. But of course I'd still love to get your comments on the books I got this week!

4 comments:

  1. Great IMM! I'm dying to read It's Not Summer Without You after reading the first in the trilogy last month! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mailbox. It's Not Summer Without You is on my TBR list.
    I hope you enjoy all your new books,
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great IMM! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Kane Richards Must Die" cover looks interesting :D Looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...